Derek Hansen is the premiere speed training expert in British Columbia, Canada. Since 2001, he has produced the top track and field sprinters in the province, with some of those athletes among the best in Canada. His ability to slash time off of a sprinters personal best — as demonstrated time and again — is unmatched. The same goes for the multi-sport athletes he’s worked with. When an athlete wants bring his football 40-yard dash time down in a hurry, he knows that he will get solid results when he trains under Coach Hansen. His combination of biomechanical expertise and effective program planning yield results over the short- and long-term.
Not only is Coach Hansen sought after in British Columbia, but he is often consulted by some of the top strength and conditioning specialists throughout North America. They are interested in integrating Hansen’s speed development concepts with their current programs.
Hansen’s speed development approach is based on good fundamentals and mechanics. While others fumble with toys, short-cuts and bags of tricks, Hansen applies basic concepts of force application, relaxation and sound biomechanics. He also has an impeccable ability to communicate concepts effectively to his athletes — an ability that speaks to his mastery of the "Art" of coaching.
Examples of Coach Hansen’s speed development projects include:
- Combine preparation for elite football athletes
- Vault approach run mechanics for elite gymnasts
- Starting push mechanics for elite bobsleigh and skeleton athletes
- Starting block workshops for track and field sprinters
- Speed mechanics for elite and recreational road running athletes
- On-line interactive training videos for speed development with various clients
- Speed development preparation for potential law-enforcement applicants
- Effective and expedient hamstring rehab for speed/power athletes
- Running mechanics and on-set consultant for Hollywood actors
- And much more…
Strength and Power Training
As a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, Derek Hansen is responsible for making his clients stronger and more powerful. Coach Hansen’s trademark is developing athletes who have all of their critical qualities — including strength, power and speed — maximized to their full potential. So, it is very common for his speed athletes to have tremendous strength and power capabilities. Many of Hansen’s top sprint athletes have bench pressed over 300lbs, full squatted over 400lbs and power cleaned over 275lbs. These are athletes that have an average body weight of 175lbs. In addition, these athletes have tremendous vertical jumping ability and have no problem dunking a basketball at an average height of 5?10".
As with speed training, Coach Hansen’s approach is to ensure that all strength and power movements are performed with the best possible technique. In addition, the periodization and organization of training volume and intensity is closely monitored to ensure maximal adaptation, with minimal risk of injury. Under Coach Hansen’s program, strength and power gains will come quick, and be gained within the context of your sport. While others pile on weightlifting and plyometrics with no plan or vision, Coach Hansen implements his strength and power training in a manner that yield the best results with the least wear and tear.
Flexibility and Mobility
Derek Hansen has always been a proponent of methods that enhance flexibility and mobility for his athletes. An athlete that has maximized these qualities will not only perform better, they will also be better prepared to handle the rigours of their sport.
SPS Athletic Training Group offers flexibility and mobility programs for all athletes in all sports. Our programs can assist athletes in many ways, including:
1. Increased Range of Motion
Increased range of motion can lead to greater power and speed. Additionally, reducing obstacles to movement can enhance efficiency and, therefore, increase endurance.
2. Enhanced Recovery and Adaptation
A muscular system that is loose and supple can lead to improvements in circulation, particularly post-workout, when the feeding of the muscles and removal of waste materials is most important.
3. Injury Prevention
Many injuries tend to be related to over-use of a particular type of movement or region of the body. Appropriate stretching and flexibility work can loosen up tight muscles that are plagued by over-use syndrome.
Increased flexibility and mobility through stretching and manual therapy can help speed the injury recovery process. Much of the time spent in rehab is regaining proper muscle function and range-of-motion. So, a proper flexibility program can play a significant role in successful rehabilitation.
5. Muscle Tone Management
Muscle tone — a muscle’s state of readiness — can be manipulated through proper stretching and manual therapy in a way that either prepares an athlete for competition, or helps bring and athlete down from stressful competition. We are skilled in managing muscle tone in a manner that is advantageous for the athlete.
Personal Training Services
SPS Athletic Training Group can provide personal training services for individuals that have specific goals that they want to successfully achieve in a timely manner. Types of personal training services offered by SPS include:
- General health and fitness training
- Accumulation of muscle hypertrophy (both functional and aesthetic) – bodybuilding
- Weight loss for general health and/or aesthetic goals
- Fitness and strength training for recreational runners
- Natural anti-aging strategies for individuals over 40 years of age
- Rehabilitation for injuries, particularly joint replacement procedures
- Management of exercise and diet for diabetic individuals
- Planning, design and implementation of home gym systems
- And much more…
Other High Performance Athlete Services
SPS Athletic Training Group has assisted high performance athletes, coaches and teams in many ways over the past 10 years. Here are some more examples of how we can help you achieve your goals:
- Digital video analysis and prescription
- Coaching education and health and fitness curriculum development
- Exercise/fitness planning and development consulting
- Effective rehabilitation, specializing in hamstring and knee rehab
- High performance nutritional programming, including supplementation plans
- Running technique for middle- and long-distance runners and triathletes
- Digital video production for instructional DVD’s and on-line video feeds
For more information on all of the services offer by SPS Athletic Training Group, please contact Derek Hansen at [email protected].