SPS coaches and support staff are client focused, paying attention to the specific needs all of the athletes that we train. Our team’s combined knowledge and experience in athlete training, care and development ensure that our clients receive “world class” treatment. You can be sure to find the best combination of training science and the art of coaching when you train with us.
Derek M. Hansen, CSCS, BA, MASc
Derek is a NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist that has been working with athletes in speed, strength and power sports since 1988. Originally working with Track and Field athletes, Derek expanded his services to assist athletes in all sports with an emphasis on speed development. He has since worked with some of the top performers in the world as a coach and a consultant – including Olympic medallists, world record holders, Canadian National team athletes, professional sports organizations and professional athletes from numerous sports. Locally, Derek has produced some of the top sprinters in British Columbia and continues to work with some of the fastest athletes in various sports.
Provided below are some of Derek’s key qualifications, credentials and designations:
- NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist
- NSCA Provincial Director for British Columbia – 2006 to 2010
- NCCP Level 3 Track and Field Coach – Sprints and Hurdles Emphasis
- NCCP Level 2 Olympic Weightlifting Coach
- Course Conductor for the National Coaching Institute (NCI) Vancouver for Strength & Conditioning and Recovery & Regeneration
- Head Strength and Conditioning Coach for Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, Canada
- Sport performance consultant, sport technology advisor and rehab specialist for a number of teams in the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS and NCAA Division I college sports
- Presenter, workshop leader and lecturer at major international conferences on various topics relating to sport performance, rehab and sport technologies
- Speed, strength and conditioning consultant – Cycling Canada – BMX and Track Cycling – 2013 to present
- Speed, strength and conditioning consultant – Speed Skating Canada – Long Track preparations for the 2010 Olympics
- Past Recruitment and Athlete Development Coach – Vancouver Region – for Bobsleigh Canada
- Head Coach – Metro Athletic Club – Track and Field – 2001-2009
- Head Strength and Conditioning Coach – Canadian Men’s Field Hockey Team – 1999-2004
- Head Strength and Conditioning Coach – Canadian Olympic Women’s Softball Team – 2001-2004
- Consultant – BC Basketball/Basketball Canada – Centre for Performance Youth Development – 2001-2008
If you would like more information on Derek’s qualifications and experience, please e-mail him at [email protected] and he would be happy to send you his curriculum vitae.